THE FOLLOWING ARTICLE WAS
COMPILED BY ESTER MORRIS IN 1834







    Defeated Creek, a north branch of the Cumberland River, near the
line of Smith and Jackson counties, between Carthage and
Williamsburg.
This  creek took its name from a defeat of John Peyton
and his party,
consisting of his brothers Ephraim and Thomas Peyton,
John Frazier, and Squire
Grant, in the year 1786. The Indians, about 60
in number, led on by the Fool Warrior, a distinguished Cherokee chief
attacked the
camp, (situated on a small island just above the mouth of a
spring branch, a short distance below where the old Fort Blount road
crosses said creek) in the night, during a deep snow, shot a ball
through and broke the arm and shoulder of John Peyton. Thomas
Peyton was shot through the thigh,
Frazier through the leg and Grant
through the knee. Ephraim Peyton escaped without a wound from the
Indians, but sprained his ankle in
running through the creek. In this
naked and mangled condition, th
ese five hardy veterans had to grope
their way in crusted snow through a pathless wilderness of cave clad
mountains alone, (for no two ever came together)
for four days before
they reached habitation of civilized man, bare
headed, bare footed,
without food, or any garment except a shirt and
pantaloons. Marking
the desert with their blood. Not withstanding their
situation, they all
arrived safely at Bledsoe's Lick, a distance of about 70 miles by the
circuitous route they came, recovered by their wounds and
fought many
Indian battles in defen
se of the women and children of the frontier.
John Peyton, from whom this compiler obtained the above facts,
died at
his residence on Station Camp, in Sumner County in 1833 in the
78th
year of his age.

                                           By Ester Morris.   1834
THE STORY OF DEFEATED CREEK
DEFEATED CREEK